St. Mary Church Additional Photos
Below are numerous photos and documents that have survived over the years. They give us additional glimpses of St. Mary Parish, its Church, and its activities. Information and photos for the St. Mary Church History pages have
been supplied by members of the church community too numerous to mention individually. We are grateful for the assistance of each one. However, a special note of thanks is due to Patrick Finn upon whose extensive work these pages have been built. For furhter information, please consult the Bibliographical References, below.
Our work is not done. There are many gaps in both the history and the photo
collection. Anyone with other photos and documents not included in these pages is asked to contact Jack Henderson. Thanks for your help!
Construction Information: The New St. Mary Church
The new Saint Mary Church in Bath, Maine was completed in May 1969 and dedicated the following month. Conceived by Architect Leo A. Whelan in the shape of a cross, the church provides its congregation with easy accessibility to the altar. Light streams through several epoxy windows of green, red, pink, orange, and other colors in abstract arrangement.
Participation in the life of the Church is encouraged by the arrangement of two long rows of pews on either side of the altar, and two in front. An attractive but subdued screen at the back of the sanctuary is bordered by symbolic grapes on the vine and serves to avoid distractions from behind the altar. The Eucharistic chapel is located to the rear on one side.
A carillon was placed in the leaded copper tower which is topped with a ten-foot cross on a golden globe. Inscribed above the front entrance are two symbolic representations of the Blessed Virgin on either side of a Chi Rho and crib.
The lower church, or Parish Center, contains large and small meeting rooms, classrooms, offices, and a kitchen.
Among the many companies and individuals responsible for construction of the new Saint Mary Church are the following:
Architect Leo A. Whelan, Boston, Massachusetts
General Contractor Stewart and Williams, Inc., Augusta, Maine
Electrical Work E. S. Boulos Co., Portland, Maine
Plumbing and Heating Scribner & Iverson, Portland, Maine
Heating and Ventilating Work Fels Company, Portland, Maine
Painting Theodore Logan & Son, Inc., Portland, Maine
Church Furniture Gothic Craft, Northboro, Massachusetts
Resilient Floors Maine Floor Covering Co., Gardiner, Maine
Brick Work Morin Brick Co., Portland, Maine
Carpeting Sanford Mills Store, Sanford, Maine
Paving Granite Paving Co., Topsham, Maine
Baldwin Organ Portland Baldwin Studio, Inc., Portland, Maine
Windows John Terrance O'Duggan Studio, Boston, Massachusetts
Information about Saint Mary's Parish in Bath, Maine is available from a number of sources, including the following:
Archives, The Times Record, Brunswick, Maine
Archives and files in the Sagadahoc History & Genealogy Room, Patten Free Library, Bath, Maine
Archives and files of St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Bath, Maine.
Catholic Guide and Reference Book published by Rev. Nicholas J. Horan, Rector, St. Mary’s Church, 1917
The Church World, Vol. 39, No. 46, April 18, 1969
The Church World, Vol. 70, No. 20, October 28, 1999
Connolly, Michael C. ed., They Change their Sky: The Irish in Maine, Orono: The Univesity of Maine Press, 2004
Desjardins, Philip Msgr., "Historical Notes," Diocese of Portland, ca.1964
Desjardins, Philip Msgr., "Parish of Immaculate Conception," Unpublished manuscript, Catholic Arichives, Portland, Maine, no date
Holland, Eleanore, "The Catholic Society in Bath, Maine," 1978
Lucey, William L. The Catholic Church in Maine. Francistown (NH): Marshall Jones Co., 1957
Owen, Henry, The History of Bath, Maine, 1936
Reed, Parker McCobb. History of Bath, Maine. Portland: Lakeside Press, 1894.
Register of Deeds, Sagadahoc County Courhouse, Bath, Maine. Deeds 1826-1854, Bk 29,p. 292
Supplement To The Coastal Journal, May 1, 1969
U. S. Federal Census, 1850, Lincoln County, Bath, Maine
Back to the St. Mary Church History page